Citizen Police Academy
The Chandler Police Department’s Citizen Police Academy (CPA) a free program designed for citizens of Chandler and members of the business community an inside look at their Police Department and law enforcement operations. The CPA is designed to provide participants with an understanding of the operations and resources of the Chandler Police Department. Participants will interact with police executives, veteran officers and civilian employees during the academy. The goal of the CPA is to provide a greater awareness and understanding of law enforcement’s role in our community.
This academy is NOT the police recruit academy.
Please visit the careers section or the City of Chandler Human Resources Division if you are interested in applying to be a police recruit.
Course curriculum includes:
- An overview of the Police Department and the administration
- Sex Crimes
- Crime Lab
- Crime Night
- Media and the Law
- Traffic Laws
- Tactical Operations – SAU or also known as SWAT
- K-9 Unit
- Use of Force
- Firearms Training
- Police Communications – Dispatch
- Crime Prevention
- Victim Services
- School Violence
- Volunteer Opportunities
Potential candidates for the Citizen Academy must meet the following criteria:
- 18 years of age at the time of application
- Reside in or work in the City of Chandler
- Attend a school or be an applicant in the City of Chandler
- No prior felony arrests
- No misdemeanor arrests with five years of the application
- Each candidate will have a background check conducted by the police department
The Chandler Police Department reserves the right to deny applications and acceptance to any applicant.
- No more than two (2) absences
- One 5 hour ride-along with a Chandler Police Officer or
- One 4 hour shift observing in Dispatch
- Adhere to the informational goals established for the academy
WHEN ARE THE CLASSES OFFERED?
The Department offers two 12 week academies per year with 25 people in each academy class.
* The spring 2016 academy class #56 begins on Wednesday, February 17, 2016 and ends Wednesday, May 4, 2016.
* The fall 2016 academy class #57 begins on Wednesday, August 16, 2016 and ends Wednesday, November 2, 2016.
Location of Academies: All classes are meet at the Main Station located at 250 E. Chicago St., Chandler, AZ 85225
Days and Times: All classes meet on Wednesday night from 6:00 to 9:00 p.m.
WHEN CAN I REGISTER FOR AN ACADEMY CLASS?
Registrations for each academy classs will open up 30 days prior to the start date. Once the class opens up for registration you will see a form on the bottom of this page, which you need to fill out and then you will be contacted by our Crime Prevention Specialist Blanca Quezada who handles all registrations.
For program information please contact Crime Prevention Specialist Blanca Quezada at (480) 782-4960 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org