Citizen Police Academy
The Chandler Police Department’s Citizen Police Academy (CPA) a free program designed for citizens of Chandler and members of the business community an inside look at their Police Department and law enforcement operations. The CPA is designed to provide participants with an understanding of the operations and resources of the Chandler Police Department. Participants will interact with police executives, veteran officers and civilian employees during the academy. The goal of the CPA is to provide a greater awareness and understanding of law enforcement’s role in our community.
This academy is NOT the police recruit academy.
Please visit the careers section or the City of Chandler Human Resources Division if you are interested in applying to be a police recruit.
Course curriculum includes:
- An overview of the Police Department and the administration
- Sex Crimes
- Crime Lab
- Media and the Law
- Traffic Laws
- Tactical Operations – SAU or also known as SWAT
- K-9 Unit
- Use of Force
- Firearms Training
- Police Communications – Dispatch
- Crime Prevention
- Victim Services
- School Violence
- Volunteer Opportunities
Potential candidates for the Citizen Academy must meet the following criteria:
- 18 years of age
- Reside in or work in the City of Chandler
- Attend a school or be an applicant in the City of Chandler
- No prior felony arrests
- No misdemeanor arrests with five years of the application
- Each candidate will have a background check conducted by the police department
The Chandler Police Department reserves the right to deny applications and acceptance to any applicant.
- No more than two (2) absences
- One 5 hour ride-along with a Chandler Police Officer or
- One 4 hour shift observing in Dispatch
- Adhere to the informational goals established for the academy
WHEN ARE THE CLASSES OFFERED?
The Department offers two 12 week academies per year with 25 people in each academy class. The fall 2014 academy class #53 starts on Wednesday, August 13, 2014 and runs 12 consecutive weeks (Wednesday’s from 6:00 – 9:00 p.m.) and ends on October 29, 2014. Registration for the spring 2015 class will open on Monday, January 12th and the class will begin in mid February the exact start is pending.
REGISTRATION for our Fall 2014 Citizen Academy class #53 is now CLOSED.
For program information please contact Crime Prevention Specialist Blanca Quezad at (480) 782-4960 or email her at email@example.com