Burglary Prevention Tips
The following burglary prevention tips will help to make you and your family safer and also deter potential burglars.
- Keep all doors and windows closed and securely fastened. Thieves are also quick to spot weak locks that may be easily forced open. Doors should have good deadbolt locks and all windows should have window locks.
- Keep shrubbery trimmed away from entrances and walkways.
- Marked personal property is difficult for a burglar to sell. If a burglar is caught with marked property, it is evidence of stolen goods. Engrave an identification number on an area that is not easily dismantled or seen. Once property has an owner applied number, create a list of the property and coordinating numbers and keep the list in a secure location.
- Make your home appear occupied using lights or television on a timer.
- Do not hide spare keys outside your home; instead, give a spare key to a trusted neighbor.
- Keep your garage door closed at all times.
- If you have children, discuss home security with them, such as not talking with others about their home, its contents or family schedules.
- Organize a block watch.