Citizen Police Academy
The Chandler Police Department’s Citizen Police Academy (CPA) a free program designed for citizens of Chandler and members of the business community an inside look at their Police Department and law enforcement operations. The CPA is designed to provide participants with an understanding of the operations and resources of the Chandler Police Department. Participants will interact with police executives, veteran officers and civilian employees during the academy. The goal of the CPA is to provide a greater awareness and understanding of law enforcement’s role in our community.
This academy is NOT the police recruit academy.
Course curriculum includes:
- An overview of the Police Department and the administration
- Sex Crimes
- Crime Lab – Forensics
- Crime Night
- Media and the Law
- Traffic Laws
- Tactical Operations – SAU or also known as SWAT
- K-9 Unit
- Use of Force
- Firearms Training
- Police Communications – Dispatch
- Victim Services
- School Violence
- Volunteer Opportunities
Potential candidates for the Citizen Academy must meet the following criteria:
- 18 years of age at the time of application
- Reside in or work in the City of Chandler
- Attend a school or be an applicant in the City of Chandler
- No prior felony arrests
- No misdemeanor arrests with five years of the application
- Each candidate will have a background check conducted by the police department
The Chandler Police Department reserves the right to deny applications and acceptance to any applicant.
- No more than two (2) absences
- One 5 hour ride-along with a Chandler Police Officer or
- One 4 hour shift observing in Dispatch
- Adhere to the informational goals established for the academy
- The spring 2016 academy class #56 started on Wednesday, February 17, 2016 and ends Wednesday, May 4, 2016.
- The fall 2016 academy class #57 begins on Wednesday, August 17, 2016 and ends Wednesday, November 2, 2016.